Posted here with links to INAC and a call in number.
Click here for March 31 update
We realize that there is very little information getting out to First Nations on what happens next with the McIvor Case. [Our McIvor got more than a thousand hits for the first month they were up and are still popular.]
Recognizing that people are hungry for info, when so little is available, we pledge to keep you updated with accurate info here. So stay tuned to Crazy Bitches R Us as we track the amendments. We expect the legislation will be introduced on Wednesday or Thursday. Indian Affairs must amend the Indian Act before April 6th, 2010, which means they must rush it through the House of Commons. They estimate that 45,000 people will be added to the registry as a result of this amendment.
On April 6, the BC court of appeal struck down two subsections of the Indian Act as discriminatory against First Nation women. The court gave parliament one year to amend the Indian Act. Many children who did not previously have status will become C-1’s. If you haven't already seen it, there is more detailed explanation on our previous post:
Saturday, January 9, 2010
McIvor decision: Important info for non-status Indians looking to gain status.
Note: the amendments ONLY impact those whose status lineage was broken when a FN woman married a non-Native man. It your parents/grandparents lost status for other reasons, you will not benefit from this legislation.
Other Posts on this topic include :
- Wednesday November 3, 2010 Another McIvor Update
- Sunday May 23,2010 URGENT: Nonstatus Indians: somen's Groups poised to Kill C-3 aka McIvor Bill
- April 24, 2010 More on McIvor, Bill C-3
- Wednesday, April 7, 2010 More on McIvor- Canada Given 3-Month Extension to Implement McIvor decision
- Thursday, March 11, 2010 McIvor update!!!! How Do the New Legislative Changes to the Indian Act Affect Me?