Saturday, October 3, 2009

The boy ain't right

I am all for gender equality, both ways, for men and women, and I know that the motivation here is to help men bond better with their children…. But something about this just ain’t right.

A male Swedish college student, Ragnar Bengtsson, 26, has begun pumping his breasts at three-hour intervals in a 90-day experiment to see if he can produce milk. If he succeeds, he said, it could prove "very important for men's ability to get much closer to their children at an early stage." A professor of endocrinology told the daily Aftonbladet that male lactation without hormone treatment might produce "a drop or two," but suggested that men instead consider offering their breasts to babies as a matter of comfort and warmth, rather than as food. Bengtsson, who will report regularly on his progress via Stockholm's TV8 channel and the station's Web site, acknowledged that his timetable would sometimes require that he pump during classes.

PROGRESSIVE BLOGGERS

2 comments:

Wideye said...

I think what he is doing is amazing and I'd like to extend a hand of congratulations to him. It's just as when I heard about the man who gave carried his child to term because his wife had a condition that would not allow her to do so. Such an unselfish act must be followed up with an act that men at one time probably did anyway...Yes...men have all the parts required to lactate. Some social theorists believe that men had a much more important role in childrearing pre- domestication – you know when one man realized he could control the will of another and our “societies” were probably born? I think this is so cool....women (MANY WOMEN) can and do breast feed babies they have adopted. They do as this guy is doing and pump for several months the motion releases whatever it is that causes the milk to flow....it can take a lot of time I hear but totally possible and SO ULTRA COOL!

Ward of the State said...

Now see, I wish I could feel that way about the breast feeding thing. I certainely admired the dud who carried the baby.

I have noticed that some men were very uncomfortable when I talk about breastfeeding, perhaps I suffer from the same disorder that they do, in resverse.

 
Personal Business Directory - BTS Local